Food & Wine Pairing at Waitrose Cellar
Chateau Roquefort Roquefortissime Sauvignon with Baked Salmon & Risotto
Wine enthusiast and TV presenter, Phillip Schofield, created this delicious salmon recipe to enjoy with the amazing Roquefortissime Sauvignon from Waitrose Cellar. Plus, discover four other fabulous white wines at the end of this article, to celebrate Easter in style.
Chateau Roquefort Roquefortissime Sauvignon | Bordeaux, France, 2014, 12% ABV
Now just £13.99
I adore crisp Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire and the really green Sauvignons from New Zealand. Bordeaux Sauvignon is another wonderful expression of this grape, but very different. It still has the zestiness that’s perfect with fish, but it’s wrapped up in a butteriness that matches beautifully with this savoury risotto.
- Serves 4-6
- Prepare 15 minutes + cooling
- Cook 1 hour
- Knob of butter
- 2 echalion shallots, peeled and diced
- 250g arborio rice
- 750ml chicken or fish stock
- 75g mascarpone
- 1/2 x 25g pack fresh chives, finely chopped
- 20g pack fresh dill, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 850g pack Waitrose Scottish Salmon Fillet
1. Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan over a medium to high heat. When melted and bubbling add the shallots and cook for 3-4 minutes, until lightly softened, but not coloured.
2. Pour in the rice and fry with the shallots, stirring almost constantly for 1 minute. Pour in about 1/5 of the stock and gently stir as it comes to the boil. Continue to stir and add stock in small amounts until all the stock has been used up and the rice grains are cooked yet still retain a slight bite – roughly 25 minutes.
3. Take the risotto off the heat and stir in the mascarpone, chopped chives, half the chopped dill and the lemon juice. Tip the risotto out on to a tray and leave it to cool to at least room temperature.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. When the risotto is cool, lay the salmon – skin side down – on to a flat baking tray lined with baking parchment. Season the fish and spread the risotto over the salmon, spreading it and building it up as neatly as you can. Try to be consistent with the thickness of the rice.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Let the salmon sit for 5 minutes before dressing with the remaining chopped dill and the lemon zest and serve.
Special Whites for Easter - Phillip's Choice
Arnaud de Lassalle Pouilly-Fumé | Loire, France, 2014, 12.5% ABV
Now just £14.99
Another expression of Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire, arguably the home of Sauvignon Blanc in France. This is a really lovely mix of the crispness you’d expect with very light tropical flavours and pockets of sea salty air.
Astrolabe Discovery Awatere Valley Sauvignon Blanc | Marlborough, New Zealand, 2014, 13% ABV
Now just £19.99
Simon Waghorn’s Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc has intense nettle, lime and basil flavours, with the Pouilly Fumé-like pungency typical of the Awatere Valley.
Chablis Les Armes | Burgundy, France, 2014, 11.5% ABV
Save 33% - Now just £10.29
An elegant Chablis in the traditional style, with balance and finesse. Lovely and creamy, with a light tropical touch to the fruit and chalky minerality.
La Monetta Gavi Del Comune Di Gavi | Piedmont, Italy, 2015, 11.5% ABV
Now just £10.79
This crisp, refreshing white from the Cortese grape has the classic Gavi flavours of citrus, almonds and fresh herbs. Great as an apéritif as well as with food.
*This article is currently showing the prices and stock available on 23/03/2016.