Portuguese Grilled Sardines
Portuguese Grilled Sardines with Fresh Herbs
- 16/18 fresh sardines – washed and dried with kitchen paper
- virgin olive oil
- freshly milled sea salt and black pepper
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- optional: fresh herbs to sprinkle (rosemary, parsely)
- Brush the sardines with the oil on both sides and place under a hot grill, turn and cook both sides.
- Place on a serving dish with some fresh rocket, season and lay them on top of some crusty fresh bread and eat with your fingers – just like the locals!
To Pair With...
Portugese Vinho Verde, with its inherent fizz and lively fresh taste would serve as a perfect company to this simple and scrumptious dish.
You can also try it Spanish style and consider the Albarino variety, known for its capacity to combine zingy acidity with aromatic floral notes.