Recipe for Chicken Piri-Piri
- 6/8 chicken quarters or enough legs and thighs for your number of guests
- 6 crushed garlic cloves – finely chopped
- ½ small tumbler of whisky
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of light olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 bay leaf
- Place the chicken into an oven proof dish and mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the chicken and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Place the chicken into a pre-heated oven [180 degrees] for approx. 20 minutes, turn the chicken pieces over and baste, returning to the oven for a further 20 minutes, or until cooked.
- Remove and present in the dish or on warm plates, spoon over the Pir-Piri sauce.
For the Piri-Piri Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil; 1 tablespoon of lemon juice; 2/3 red chillies and 1 clove of garlic (all chopped and crushed). Mix these ingredients together and blend into a sauce style mixture.
Serve on a bed of ‘Cos’ style lettuce with baby tomatoes or just roasted potato wedges!
To Pair With...
Some say that spicy food goes best with beer, but try it with a refreshing, aromatic Viognier.
Bubbles help to relieve the pungency - why not have them in a rich, red wine? Try red sparkling Shiraz or good quality Lambrusco, such as Monte delle Vigne Lambrusco Selezione.