Recipe for Halibut with Montpellier Butter
- 4 steaks of fresh Halibut – Cod or Monkfish can be used if you prefer!
- Olive oil
- Freshly milled salt and black pepper
- 6oz of unsalted butter – cut into 1-inch cubes
Ingredients for the Montpellier Butter:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets – fresh or tinned
- Approx 6 capers
- 4 small gherkins
- 6 fresh spinach leaves
- Small bunch of watercress
- 1 clove garlic - crushed
Tablespoon each of the following - finely chopped:
- Place all the ingredients for the Montpellier Butter in a food processor and blend into a fine paste. Add the softened butter and blend in with the paste. Remove from processor and place onto an oblong piece of greaseproof paper and roll into a long cylinder shape. Place in the fridge to set for approx 1 hour.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper to taste and then brown either side in a sauté style pan in the heated olive oil, approx 3 mins each side. Remove to a greased ovenproof dish and bake in a pre-heated oven for around 5/7 mins or until cooked to your liking.
- Take Montpellier Butter from fridge, unwrap and slice thickly to garnish the fish. Place along the surface of the hot fish and serve on a bed of sautéed potatoes, with a crisp salad of mixed leaves, sliced beef tomato and fresh basil and some buttered fine green beans!
To Pair With...
Pour your favourite chilled Viognier wine and enjoy this simple culinary experience.
If you don't have a favourite yet, have a look at some good examples of Viognier from our extensive Wines Direct list.
Alan Hunter AIWS,