Discover The English Wine Week Events For 2014
The English Wine Week 2014 is starting on Saturday 24th of May and will run until Sunday 1st of June. It is a great occasion to enjoy delicious English wines and discover more about what our national wine production has to offer. Events are taking place all over the country to celebrate our great wines. From vineyards opening their doors, to hotels and shop offering wine tastings, you should definitely be able to find an event near home and spend a great time learning more about English wine! We have selected a few events taking place around England. So pick want you fancy most and enjoy the week!
Visit An English Vineyard
Many English wine producers will happily open their doors during this week and offer you a tour of the vineyard and sometimes a wine tasting in the end. It’s a great opportunity to learn more about the wine making process and to see amazing landscapes, as well as tasting delicious wines.
Here are a few examples of vineyards organising tours. Some vineyards are open to visitors all year round like Denbies, so the English Wine Week is a good moment to go and have a look!
- The Chapel Down Winery in Tenterden, Kent, TN30 7NQ will be running tours & tastings from 24th May to 1st June.
- At Camel Valley Vineyard in Bodmin, Cornwall, PL30 5LG, Bob Lindo will be hosting a tour of the vineyard and the winery followed by a wine tasting on Sunday 25th May.
- Three Choirs Vineyards in Newent, Gloucestershire, GL18 1LS will be offering a walk through the vineyard with the winemakers followed by a wine tasting on 27th and 29th May, plus a 20% discount in the shop.
If you're not sure which vineyard to choose from, you can take the Sussex Gourmet Wine Bus Tour launching on Saturday 24th May and running until September. Aboard either a luxury coach or a vintage Routemaster bus, you will leave Brighton to visit the award-winning Ridgeview Wine Estate, followed by the Bolney Wine Estate and taste some amazing wine and food! Visit the Brighton Food Festival website for more information.
Enjoy English Wine Sales
Many wine shops, small or big, are organising tasting events as well as special promotions during the English Wine Week. Here are a few examples:
- From Saturday 24th to Sunday 25th May, Laithwaite’s shops will have English still and sparkling wines to taste with some strawberries in store, plus a 10% discount on all English wines in-store and online!
- Waitrose shops will also have English wines to taste in-store from Saturday 24th May to Sunday 1st June.
- Marks & Spencer will be launching a new range of English wines on Saturday 24th May in-store and online.
A lot of smaller shops are organising events too, so check with your local wine shop to see if there is anything interesting!
Take An English Wine Break
Some hotels as well as pubs and restaurants will be adding English wine to their menu to celebrate the English Wine Week. A good opportunity to spend a weekend away or enjoy a nice meal and discover our national wines. A few examples:
- The Cavendish Hotel in London, SW1Y6JF will be serving English wines with discounted prices from 24th May to 1st June.
- The Congham Hall Hotel in Norfolk, PE32 1AH is offering its clients a complimentary bottle of Congham Rose who booked between 24th and 30th May.
This is only a small selection of the events taking place all across England. Visit the English Wine Producers website to see the full list of the 2014 events and have a great English Wine Week!